Applications will not be considered for acceptance unless completely filled out, including script, and any entry fees and must be received no later than November 6, 2016 to be considered for the Parade. Staging area information will be sent to accepted entries in 10 days prior to the parade.
A $25 entry fee is required of all non-commercial entries. The fee is payable per category.
Commercial Entry Fee
A commercial entry fee of $150 is required for all commercial entries and is due with the application. Commercial entries are allowed to carry the name only of the sponsoring firm or organization with their unit, in addition to parade theme wording.
Please make all checks payable to: Downey Chamber of Commerce.
Floats must be self-propelled. Please provide a sketch and proof of insurance when you send in your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered for acceptance until complete. All decorations must be fire retardant and be available for inspection by the Downey Fire Department prior to the start of the parade.
Musical sweepstakes: Highest scoring band
Drill team sweepstakes: Highest scoring drill team
Mayor’s award: Best local entry
Trophies will be presented immediately after the parade outside Downey City Hall.
Judging will be conducted by California Premier Judging Association. All decisions made by the judges are final. Standard parade rules will govern.
1. All participants must be uniformed, costumed, and / or appropriately attired.
2. All entries should have a positive theme which respects diversity, is non-controversial, and does not advocate any political candidate, proposition, or position.
3. All entries in the parade must be approved by the parade committee. Any deviation from the rules must be approved prior to acceptance of the parade application.
4. The parade will start promptly at 1pm.
5. The parade committee accepts no responsibility for any false statements made by any applicant(s) and / or entrant(s).
6. Forward motion must be maintained throughout the parade route. Stopping at any time to perform is prohibited.
7. All sound equipment used must be self-propelled. Vehicles are not allowed in the parade for the purpose of being used as a music platform.
8. No one under the age of 8 will be permitted to march in the parade without prior approval from the parade committee.
9. All entries must fit a classification offered.
10. All decorations must be fireproof / fire retardant.
11. All entries are encouraged to carry an identification banner for their unit.
12. At no time is anything to be thrown or given out along the parade route.
13. Completed applications must be submitted by the deadline of November 11, 2016 to be considered for acceptance in the parade. To be considered complete applications must include script, entry fee, and insurance (if required).
14. For the safety of the participants and the viewing audience, all parade units must march, dance, ride, et cetera within the middle of two lanes at all times.
15. The parade committee accepts entries based upon the information submitted on the application, no changes to any entry will be allowed once submitted and accepted, without committee approval.
16. No firearms, sirens, or loud noises that interfere with other unites are allowed.
17. Acceptance into the parade is at the discretion of the parade committee and their decisions are final.
18. Any violation of these rules may lead to immediate disqualification and / or removal from the parade.
19. No Santa Claus is allowed in the parade other than the one provided by the committee.
20. All applications will be reviewed by the Parade Committee and participants will be notified of approval within five days of receipt of the application. Please not that the City of Downey does not allow any items to be handed out or thrown from an entry or the participants in the parade. Participants are allowed to hand out items to the crowd via the sidewalk only.